Patient dies after nose showers-therapy for brain-eating amoeba in the water

Nose shower with tap water: woman dies of brain-eating amoeba

Actually, Nasal irrigations are helpful if you want to treat a sinus infection. But incorrectly applied to the health risk. As an older American, who probably by this treatment, the brain-eating draws, which led to the death of the woman amoeba.

Improper use of a nasal douche

In the US a woman died a year after the incorrect use of a nasal shower. According to media reports, the 69-Year-old from Seattle (Washington state) used instead of the recommended sterile water or a salt solution, only tap water. This could seem to penetrate the brain-eating amoeba in your body, which eventually led to the death of the woman. About the case, which is already something back, is currently reported in the scientific journal “the Journal of Infectious Diseases”.

Deaths by amoeba

In recent years, especially from the United States – again and again cases are reported in which people came through amoebas to death.

So, about a woman in California died after bathing in the swimming pool, because they had captured the parasite Naegleria fowleri.

This amoeba-type was also for the death of an 18-year-old girl from North Carolina responsible. The teenage girl was infected while Swimming in the lake.

The well described case from the U.S. state of Washington, according to a report in the “Seattle Times” the first, is connected with improper nasal irrigation.

It started with a sore on the nose

In the case of the amoebae, which were found in the case of the woman from Seattle, it was Balamuthia mandrillaris, can cause in the course of weeks to months, a very rare and almost always fatal infection in the brain, according to “CNN”.

In the case of the 69-Year-olds, the infection began with the bridge of your nose, with a raised, red sore formed.

The Doctors thought it was a rash and prescribed an antibiotic ointment, but no relief. In the course of a year, have a dermatologist looking for a cause.

Then the left side of the body of the woman began to tremble. She had a seizure, had weakened her left Arm.

Then she was taken to the emergency room of Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, where a CT Scan showed an abnormal lesion in her brain, which pointed to a Tumor, so the Doctors sent a sample of tissue for Testing.

In the next few days for more Scans showed that everything that went in your brain, has been getting worse and worse. The mass grew and new lesions showed up.

Surgery brought clarity

Finally, the Doctors of the hospital decided to go for a brain surgery. This showed that something much more dangerous as a Tumor in the progress.

“As I operated on this woman, was a section of your brain the size of a Golf ball, a bloody mess,” said Dr. Charles Cobbs, a neurosurgeon at Swedish Medical Center, in a telephone interview with the “Seattle Times”.

“There was this amoeba that ate just the brain cells. We had no idea what was going on, but as we had the actual tissue, we were able to see that it was the amoeba.“

The information reported that the patient died a month later, on the rare organisms that were penetrated in your brain.

Water supply has not been tested

The doctors assume that the amoeba through the nose shower, the woman took advantage of in the past year because of a sinus infection could get into your body.

According to the figures, the 69 took advantage of-Year-old for tap water and not, as recommended, sterile water or a salt solution.

The Doctors said that they could not bring the infection with the nasal rinse, as the water supply of your house has not been tested for the amoeba.

According to Dr. Cobbs can’t infect people by just swallow with amoeba-contaminated water. On the nose this is according to the professionals, but very possible.

Dangerous organisms could spread further North

The infection of the woman is the second in Seattle, the first was discovered in 2013.

According to a November in the journal “Clinical Infectious Diseases” published study, the researchers have for the first time aware that this kind of can cause of amoebic diseases in humans.

In this report, it was found that in the United States between 1974 and 2016, a total of 109 cases of amoebiasis were reported. Ninety percent of these cases were fatal.

Amoebas are single-celled organisms, some of which may cause illness. Because they thrive in warm soils and water, there is a growing concern that the deadly infection could spread due to global warming more in the North.

The organisms are commonly found in South America and Central America, but have now better chances of Survival in others, and normally cooler areas, such as Washington.

This concern also Dr. Cynthia Maree, an infectious diseases Doctor from Swedish Medical Center, has co-authored the case study on the patient.

“In view of the mortality associated with this infection, I hoped that I was wrong. But my fear was that I’m right.“

Dr. Cobbs does not believe, however, “that in future there will be more cases. At least I hope so.“ (ad)