If the cold is particularly persistent and you feel week, tired, can have various reasons, harmless to serious: About an Allergy or an inflammation of the heart muscle. Sometimes this is also due to the side effects of a drug. FOCUS Online presents six common causes.
How long a cold can last? The proverb says, a cold comes three days, stays three days and goes for three days. At the latest after ten days, the infection should be were. However, this statement is not true for everyone. Many need a little longer to be fully recovered, others are fit again more quickly.
Smoking and genes play a role in the duration of a Cold
Individual factors play a role, such as the General condition of the immune system, whether you are sleeping enough, the life-style – Smoking demonstrable need longer to defeat cold viruses. And also, the genes seem to be involved in it, whether the body with colds is done faster or longer need.
Why you need to stay after infection for weeks tired
In addition, however, there are still some lesser-known causes for cold symptoms that are particularly persistent:
1. Other common cold viruses: There are more than 200 different viruses, including colds, can trigger, such as Rhino virus, corona viruses, adenoviruses, each with numerous subtypes. The body has overcome the infection with a specific common cold virus, are exhausted, the Immune something. Who has bad luck, begins in this Phase with weakened immune quickly the next cold, with a different virus types. An infection then in the other, triggered by different viruses, for the Concerned, the is, however, as he had a cold for weeks.
2. Allergy: When running nose and sore throat, not only from a cold, but an allergic reaction. Often around the first Pollen to fly starting in January, in February and March, when mostly once again a cold and flu wave. Often the infection then goes in the truest sense of the word “fluent” in hay fever. Two important differences between the common cold and allergies: The flu the temperature rises, hay fever is mostly associated without fever, also occurs in the case of the Allergy, itching in the eyes.
3. Bacterial sinus infection (Sinusitis): a common cold virus to put the mucous membranes so that they are more susceptible to bacteria, there is usually a low number to stop it. The pathogen can multiply and as a result of a viral common cold can develop a bacterial sinusitis. Evidence pressure sensitivity of the cheekbones, and – less known – toothache in the upper jaw or the skin of the head front hurts when you comb your Hair are known.
4. Asthma: Sometimes a cough after an infection for weeks. Then can not be stuck only with a bacterial Bronchitis behind it, and chronic respiratory diseases such as Asthma can occur after a viral infection for the first Time. A note on Bronchitis is sputum in Asthma is usually dry cough.
5. A side effect of some medicines against high blood pressure: Dry cough can also be due to a certain group of high blood pressure are caused, and these are the so-called ACE-inhibitors, identifiable by the suffix-pril.
- Basic pension: equal pay in Full – and part-time? Who benefits from the pension
- Frankfurt: woman on street-stabbed to death – police speaks of the “brutal attack”
- The dispute escalated final: Poland withdraws from Meeting in Israel
6. Inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis): Some of the common cold viruses (such as adenoviruses) of the heart muscle affected. This is a risk especially if not enough time is taken, the infection thoroughly and with plenty of rest cure. Signs of myocarditis: weakness and fatigue remain after the decay of the typical cold symptoms cough, sore throat and runny nose. Already in the case of smaller loads, the heart begins to race. Rest, medications that relieve the heart as well as antiviral effect that can prevent the inflammation of the heart muscle weakens the heart permanently.
Conclusion: Remain cold symptoms and/or weakness for more than three weeks after your first appearance, you should definitely from the doctor to clarify what the cause is – to serious diseases such as myocarditis, exclude, or if the suspicion is confirmed, effective therapy.